Saturday, May 14, 2011

McCalls M3979 Vintage Apron

McCalls M3979 Vintage Apron 


Pattern Description:
5 types of vintage aprons.


Pattern Sizing:
Small to X-Large.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, mostly.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, sort of.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes: its sort-of cute!


Dislikes: Its an apron not a wedding dress, but it was sooo finnicky. I dont think i have tops this over worked. Every seam is bias bound. I made my own bias, because I had a lot of extra fabric. This is not a fun afternoon project. Essential requirements: Lots of patience, and a seam ripper.


Fabric used? Mostly cotton. Leftovers from a top, and leftovers from scrub bottoms I made DH.


Pattern alterations or design changes you made?
1. I didnt like the ties, so I made them tubes and turned them in. They are narower but not too thin.
2. I made a loop for the neck part. It was too much to tie the neck ties and the apron around. (when am i going to get to the cooking with all that tying??? :) )
3. The side panels were kinda loopy, so I reduced the loopiness of it. Hard to explain. The side panels look like a jug, super curved. I flattened out the curves.
4. I'm normally a medium, but I made a large. I think I should have made an X-Large. Its a bit narrow in the bib, and the side panels barely make it to the side.


Would you sew it again? Recommend it?
No and No. I dont normally wear aprons, but maybe the next time I make pasta I will avoid all the splatters! I probably wouldn't recommend this because its soo time consuming and i'm sure there are nicer looking aprons that dont take so long to make.


Conclusion:
Kinda cute. If you want a quick win, this is not it. Bias binding lovers rejoice - this is for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment